Appendix 7: History of Antigo, Langlade Co., Wisconsin
The name "Antigo" comes from the Chippewa Indian name for the river that flows through the area, "Nequi-Antigo-sebi" meaning "spring river" or "evergreen".
The city was founded in 1876 by Francis A. Deleglise, accompanied by George Eckart. The log cabin in which Deleglise lived is preserved and on display at the Langlade County Museum. A street in Antigo also bears his name. The city gained its charter in 1883.
In the early part of the 1900s, Antigo was best known for its sawmills. At the turn of the millennium, the city's economy had a balance of industry and agriculture. High on the list are potatoes, dairy products, fur, shoes, fertilizer, steel and aluminum products, along with the lumber and wood product industries established in the earlier years.
|U.S. Decennial Census|